Wireless Motility Testing (Smart Pill)
Wireless Motility Testing (Smart Pill ™)
The wireless motility test (WMT) is used to evaluate gastrointestinal tract movement function with a single test and provides information, including gastric emptying time, colonic transit time, whole gut transit time and pressure patterns from the antrum and duodenum. This test allows testing for conditions such as gastroparesis, which occurs when the stomach takes too long to empty its contents, or chronic constipation and lower gastrointestinal movement disorders. The procedure involves swallowing a pill with a tiny wireless monitoring system to record acid levels, temperature and pressure changes in your gastrointestinal tract. WMT is a noninvasive, painless procedure and provides your doctor with important data about your gastrointestinal tract.
Schedule a Consultation
Is the Smart Pill™ a good choice for you? Speak with one of our doctors and find out.
What to Expect
What to Expect During Wireless Motility Testing (Smart Pill ™)
Here’s what to expect during a WMT:
- You eat a normal meal before the procedure.
- You swallow the pill.
- Your doctor gives you a data receiver that you wear for 3 to 5 days.
- You continue your normal activities.
- After the allotted time, you take the receiver back to your doctor.
- The data is downloaded and analyzed.
- Your doctor discusses the results with you.
- You will pass the pill naturally during a bowel movement.