Preventive Care + Wellness
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Primary care doctors provide comprehensive services aimed at optimizing your health and screening for common preventable and treatable medical conditions.
Our doctors provide a comprehensive assessment of multiple factors including lifestyle, personal and family history, and risk factors, in order to create an individualized plan to optimize your health. This process may involve a visit for preventive screening, bloodwork and/or other tests. Our goal is to help you stay healthy, and to identify and address any issues that may negatively impact your wellness.
The following are just some of the services that your doctor may offer as part of your preventive health program (customized based on your age, individual risk factors, and needs):
Including: well child checks, sports physicals, adult physicals, employment physicals, Well woman exams including paps, Medicare wellness visits
Including: Blood tests, EKG, paps
Including: cancers of the breast, cervix, colon, prostate, and skin
Including: Nutrition assessment and weight management recommendations
For multiple conditions and counseling regarding lifestyle modification for improved health
Including (when appropriate): yearly flu shots; routine childhood immunizations; adult immunizations
Preparing for your wellness visit
Please check with your doctor’s office for any instructions regarding preparation for your visit.
All patients should bring the following to each doctor’s appointment:
- Current insurance card and office visit copay.
- Driver’s license or other valid photo ID
- A list of all prescription medications and vitamins/supplements you’re currently taking, including doses. If you can, please also bring the medications in their original bottles.
- A list of specialists you see, including phone numbers.
- A copy of your immunization records. Note: this is especially important for our pediatric patients, and if you are coming in for a travel consult.
New patients – bring all the above, PLUS:
- Adults who have a MyChart account with Providence Saint Johns – please SIGN IN and complete or review/update your “Health History”
- Adults who do not have a MyChart account with Providence Saint Johns can go to MyChart and click on the orange SIGN UP NOW button. Once you have signed up, please complete the “Health History” questionnaire.
- Parents bringing children in for a well child check should bring an up-to-date copy of immunization records
- Completed AUTHORIZATION FOR RELEASE OF INFORMATION form - this enables your Santa Monica Family Physicians doctor to request medical records from your previous physician.
- Medicare covers one “Wellness visit” every 365 days. For information on what this visit includes, visit the Medicare website.
- Please complete a MEDICARE WELLNESS QUESTIONNAIRE (available online via myChart) and bring it with you to your appointment.
- f your child is a new patient, please bring an up-to-date copy of immunization records
- If your child needs school or camp forms completed during a well-child visit, please bring those forms with you and fill out the “parent” section.